Items are insured for Domestic, Foreign and Transit Coverage. No need to purchase separate coverages. However, there are different limits and exclusions for different coverage areas. See the Coverage Area Limits and Exclusions page for more detail.
Direct physical loss or damage as a result of a specific event caused by a covered cause of loss, including:
- Fire, flood, lightning, earthquake, volcanic eruption
- Accidental damage
- Theft and damage during theft
- Commercial carrier shipments
- Aircraft, watercraft, motor vehicles
- Real estate and buildings
- Office furniture or supplies
- Loss of data
- Marine cargo shipments
- Submerged equipment
- US and Foreign mail
- Dishonest, fraudulent or illegal acts by University employees
- Unexplained disappearance
- Shortage found on taking inventory
- Defective design
- Faulty material
- Electrical or mechanical breakdown or damage
- Wear and tear or gradual deterioration
- War, terrorism or nuclear explosion
- Government action, including Customs seizure
- Insect or vermin damage
- Dry or wet rot
- Use purchase price for new equipment.
- For equipment that is not new, use cost to replace with like or most like equipment available (as determined by a vendor).
- Include shipping charges and applicable taxes.
- Do not include warranties.
- Depreciated value is not relevant to Equipment Insurance. We use repair or replacement value in the claims process.
In the event of a loss, settlement is the least of:
- Insured value
- Cost to repair
- Cost to replace
Computer equipment that is part of a system may be bundled as a package and assigned a single value, but each component must be described and identified with an individual value assigned in the comment section online. Use the ID, model and serial number of the main component in the online entry. If there is not room in the entry screen, please send a spreadsheet with the identifying information to email@example.com.