Who is Eligible?
The University of Washington requires classified staff to “ buy back” sick leave when the employee has been paid sick leave buy the University of Washington and also receives time-loss payments from the Department of Labor & Industries for the same time period. Non-unionized classified staff and classified staff under the UW/UAW Academic Student Employee labor contract are excepted. Buy back of sick leave is optional for professional staff. UW faculty are not eligible.
Classified and professional staff may buy back annual leave when the employee has been paid annual leave by the University of Washington and also receives time-loss payments from the Department of Labor & Industries for the same time period. Buy back of annual leave is optional for professional and classified staff. UW faculty are not eligible.
How Does it Work?
- You receive and deposit a time-loss check from the Department of Labor and Industries.
- The Office of Risk Management sends you a Leave Buy Back Work Sheet.
If you receive additional check(s) for time-loss and would like to buy back sick or vacation leave but are not required to do so, please contact the Office of Risk Management and request a Leave Buy Back Worksheet. They will not be automatically sent.
- Complete the Employee section of the worksheet and return it to the Office of Risk Management.
- Reimburse the agreed leave buy back amount by:
- asking for a comparable salary reduction in your paycheck in the Leave Buy Back Worksheet, or
- sending a personal check or money order, payable to the University of Washington, to the Office or Risk Management.
- You must reimburse the agreed leave buy back amount by the Due Date given in the Leave Buy Back Worksheet.
- When you have repaid the leave buy back amount, the leave time will be reinstated to your leave record in the month in which the entire payment is completed.
For more information about your L&I claim or the Sick Leave Buy Back Program, please call the Office of Risk Management at (206) 543-0183, or email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org.