The University of Washington’s workers’ compensation program is insured through the State of Washington. The Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) manages workers’ compensation claims for UW. University of Washington faculty, staff and volunteers are covered for work-related injuries and illnesses, per Administrative Policy Statement 14.1). Employees who are injured at work or who believe that their illness is related to their job can file an L&I claim through a physician’s office, clinic, emergency room, hospital, online or by phone.
The Claims Specialists in Claim Services are here to:
- Assist employees and supervisors with the workers’ compensation claim process.
- Facilitate the return-to-work process for employees with restrictions.
- Process claim forms and information to expedite benefits when appropriate.
- Work with L&I to manage claims and costs.
- Maintain confidentiality in compliance with RCW 51.28.070.
- Serve as a liaison among the University, L&I, the employee, the employee’s department, the vocational counselor and the medical provider(s).
We welcome process improvement ideas. Send an email with your idea to firstname.lastname@example.org.